Situated right in the centre of Cavan town, just off the main street. Given the close connection between St. Francis and St. Clare it seems appropriate that the church built closest to the medieval Franciscan Friary of Cavan should be St. Clare’s Chapel. The Poor Clare Order was founded in Asissi in 1212 and they had a convent in Newry. It was a contemplative order though some of the sisters were involved in teaching and caring for the destitute. In 1861, at the invitation of Bishop James Browne, they moved to Cavan and set up a convent there. On 2 July 1881 the foundation stone for St. Clare’s Chapel was laid by Bishop Nicholas Conaty.
There was an orphanage attached to the convent and the nave of the chapel, which is quite large, was designed to make place for the orphans and for the locals who wished to attend Mass there.
Tragically on 23 February 1943 thirty-five children and a woman carer died in a fire at the orphanage.
St. Clare’s Chapel, though almost hidden from view, is a fine gothic-style buiding with cut-stone walls and stained-glass windows.
In 1981 the Poor Clare Community sold the convent and the chapel was given to the diocese of Kilmore.